Sunday, March 12, 2017

Week 5

This week I met with Dr. Kramer and set a meeting for next Tuesday to exchange the sources he had access to in Midwestern's library. I am really excited to continue working on my chart and filling in all the blank spaces. We also went over what each of the categories meant again and key words to look for to make it easier to pick out the information that I need specifically for my chart.  A few weeks ago I met another dentist who said he would love to have me shadow. His name is Dr. Folson and he specializes in periodontics and implants. I have already scheduled a time to shadow him next Thursday and I am so excited. I cannot wait to learn about dental implant surgery.

4 comments:

  1. It's so cool how you will be able to gain perspective from research versus the 'real field'. I'm not too familiar with dental implants, so as for the surgery, is this the dental restoration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restorations are not considered surgery. Restorations refer to veneers or crowns where the problem can be fixed by creating a new surface and cementing it on. The surgery aspect of dentistry deals with procedures such as root canals or gum issues. They are more invasive, longer and more serious.

      Delete
  2. It's great how you are exploring the entire field of dentistry/orthodontics/surgery! I know you wanted to be a dentist before these experiences; has any of this possibly changed your mind or pulled you in another direction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely seen some unattractive teeth, however I am still very interested in pursuing a carrier in the dental field. This project had allowed me to look at the all the technology and chemistry behind dentistry which is something that really excites me. I must say my favorite part so far has been witnessing the CAD/CAM procedure. It is very similar to 3D printing and is super cool to watch!

      Delete