Monday, February 13, 2017

Introduction

WELCOME

Hello, my name is Sydney Miller and for my senior project I will be researching the optimal bonding protocol for zirconia and lithium disilicate crowns. My mentor is Dr. Robert Kramer, who is an assistant professor and preclinical leader at Midwestern University's College of Dental Medicine. I will be on campus Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays each week. 

My first week was extremely exciting. On Monday, Dr. Kramer gave me a tour of Glendale Hall, which is the hub of the dental school and where I will spend most of my time. From the work stations, where the dental students practice their techniques on mannequins, to the laboratories, the facilities are amazing. I had the honor of meeting and chatting with some of Dr. Kramer's brilliant friendly colleagues throughout my tour as well. Finally the tour ended in his office and we talked about our plan for my project moving forward. He wanted me to bring in my materials and sources I had used for my background research so he could further narrow my broad topic of "dental crowns". When I came back Wednesday he explained that it is important to understand the chemistry, physical properties, manufacture and synthesis of different crown materials. My task was to compile that information for each of the following types of crowns: zirconia, lithium disilicate, porcelain fused to metal (PFM), gold, leucite reinforced and zirconia lithium silicate. While I am still working to gather information on each material, it has tremendously helped my level of comprehension when reading dental journals and research papers. Studying the different crown materials has also helped me find solid sources that will contribute to my final paper. 

I loved my first week at Midwestern. Interacting with Dr. Kramer inspires me to learn as much as I can about dentistry. Even though it is mostly reading dental journals with scientific language that at times goes over my head, I still enjoy every moment of it. 

Midwestern University-Glendale Campus



1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds incredibly interesting. I am excited to see some of the research you complete and work that you get done with the dental crowns.

    ReplyDelete