Friday, February 24, 2017

Week 3

Yesterday I had my initial reference collection review with Dr. Kramer. It went very well. I found some sources that will really help with my final paper. My next task is to organize my sources into a chart using the date the article was written, what type of zirconia it mentions, how the intaglio surface is prepared, what intaglio primer is used, what cement type and brand is used, what methods of tooth surface preparation is used (total etch, selective etch, or self etch), and what the result is. The intaglio surface and primer are two layers that are essential to the overall success of the crown. If you think of the crown as different layers the zirconia would be on the top, then the intaglio surface, the intaglio primer, the cement, the primer for the natural tooth and finally the natural tooth on the bottom. Not only did we talk about my sources and next steps for my project, we also finalized my initial abstract. He had some great tips to help my abstract sound more professional. I will be continuing to search for sources to categorize. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. What kind of sources are you using, clinical trials or research for example?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are clinical trials, some are dental journals that are research based, others are literature reviews, which are a compilation of data from various experiments that are analyzed and compared in order to reach a conclusion. A literature review is actually part of what I will be doing for my final paper.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see the chart you are organizing in an upcoming post if you'd like to share. It sounds like you're off to a great start! Have you been able to see these products in person yet, or has it mostly been review of previous research so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! I would love to share what I have done so far with my chart. I was able to see an unshaped block of lithium disilicate while it was still purple and earlier in the year when I shadowed my dentist I was able to see crowns being prepped and fit for patients from start to finish.

      Delete